What does the Lord require of us?


It hath been told thee, O man, what is good, and what the LORD doth require of thee: only to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God. Micah 6:8

So what does this mean? Clearly God is Holy, and we are to be holy like He is-the Bible tells us this (Leviticus 11, 19, 20; confirmed in 1 Peter 1:16). But does this mean we have to be perfect, forgiving everyone who wrongs us, loving even the most unlovable, never getting angry, never making mistakes, etc., etc.? I have asked God many times how do I walk through life with imperfect people hurting me, and me being so imperfect myself- How can I ever be worthy to follow God?

It seems many people are contemplating these questions today. Islam is suddenly challenging the complacency of Christianity in America and many nations. This religion, based on strict rules and earning your way to heaven, appeals to many today that are tired of the loose interpretation of scripture in churches and moral relativism that has pervaded in our society. The Koran calls for all to convert to Islam or die. The Bible speaks of God's wrath and plan of salvation for the Jews in the Old Testament and Jesus' love and forgiveness for Jew and gentile(all non-Jews) in the New Testament. Though the Koran is inconsistent, calling for Jews to be honored for being the keepers of the Book and then later calling for their destruction, it always depicts Allah as a harsh god to be obeyed. The Bible is an amazing book, not written by a single man, but by some 40 men over a long period of time, beginning with Moses. Yet when examined as a single work, inspired as it claims to be, by God himself, it becomes an amazing work that allows anyone to get to know the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. His is a holy and righteous, yet loving and merciful personality. A God who wishes to become man's friend (as King David was) is seen through the entire book. This is a religion, and a God, of faithfulness and love.

I am not a Biblical scholar, but I have read the Bible at least 50 times. When you read a book so much, you do get to know the author. So as I have walked with God over these now, many years, I ask questions and He answers. Not in an audible voice, like my husband, but in many subtle ways. Lately I have been contemplating these questions as I have seen them voiced in the world media as well as by individuals. The verse I quoted at the beginning is the main answer to the question posed in the title of this article. God expects us to be faithful to our vows, as He is to His vows to us. Beginning in Genesis you see these characteristics of God, yes, He is righteous and holy and demanding as much from us, but He is also El Shaddai-the Provider. His grace and mercy, combined with His faithfulness, are the foundation and sign posts of our faith. He has given us righteousness and holiness through providing the Blood of His sacrifice, His son Jesus. In the New Testament, Gospel of John chapter 1, it says the Word of God is God, became flesh and dwelt among us-speaking of Jesus.

How awesome! So as I read the Bible, the Word of God, I really can see His face and get to know His character. This is what the scripture in Hosea is speaking of. It is not what we do, or don't do. It isn't that we never make mistakes or selfish choices. It is our attitude. We are to "be" like Him-not "act" like Him. Though our actions will follow, and are in fact, evidence of what is inside of us. If we trust in the faithfulness of God and His promises of grace and mercy, we will trust Him to bring justice, peace and good out of the chaos and brokenness of our lives. Do you trust Him to orchestrate your life in truth and righteousness, desiring to please Him and be His representative to this broken and hurting world? If you seek these things as your goal- truly to become more like Him, see from His perspective and carry out your life with His motivations, seeking no glory or attention for ourselves, He promises to direct our paths and walk with us each and every step. This is more than my mind can comprehend! Yet as I look at the last 30 years of my life, I see the hand print of God in all that I have done.

Be merciful and gracious to me, oh God, according to your great mercies, may Your mercy and grace be shown to all I encounter. Thank you Lord, for You are faithful!

No comments: