Devotional: Psalms 118

O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever.
Let Israel now say, that his mercy endureth for ever.
Let the house of Aaron now say, that his mercy endureth for ever.
Let them now that fear the LORD say, that his mercy endureth for ever.
I called upon the LORD in distress: the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place.
The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?
The LORD taketh my part with them that help me: therefore shall I see my desire upon them that hate me.
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.
All nations compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD will I destroy them.
They compassed me about; yea, they compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.
They compassed me about like bees; they are quenched as the fire of thorns: for in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.
Thou hast thrust sore at me that I might fall: but the LORD helped me.
The LORD is my strength and song, and is become my salvation.
The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tabernacles of the righteous: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly.
The right hand of the LORD is exalted: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly.
I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD.

Psalms 118:1-17



This Psalm of David boldly declares that all should join in jubilant singing of God's mercy toward their king and the nation of Israel. God had given King David victory over the peoples that had risen up against Israel and God had established the nation of Israel in prosperity. David declares that it is not his own ability or strength that has caused Israel to be blessed, but it is God's mercy toward him and all Israel.

Mercy is a gift, not something you earn. The Bible has many occurrences of the word "mercy" or "mercies", 116 times in the Psalms alone. Of those, 42 times it declares God's mercies are for ever. David is boldly declaring that because God has been merciful and will always continue to be merciful, there is much cause for ALL Israel to be singing and rejoicing with thanksgiving for the never-ending mercies of God.

Because of God's unchanging mercy for the righteous we are guaranteed victory. Those who trust in the Lord God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel (Jacob) are the righteous by definition in the book of Hebrews. Those who have circumcised hearts are the offspring of Abraham (Romans 4:11). Do we really believe and trust in God's mercy? So often we look for "solutions" to our problems from man's wisdom. God can of course use man, his logic and wisdom, to affect His Purposes, but He does that as we look to Him for the answers and truly trust in His mercy and faithfulness.

We cannot continue to look upon our situation, rather than trusting God to:

  • answer you
  • be on your side
  • help you
  • be your strength
  • deliver you

so that in His Name YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR ENEMIES, because the Lord does valiantly!

Hallelujah! There is plenty to be thankful for, to sing and rejoice--no matter how bad things get or how bad they look. Remember that if you could just see for one moment God's perspective you would see that He is in control of every situation. And we are told that blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed (John 20:29). David was confident in God's ultimate victory and it caused His heart to overflow with joy and singing. He is the one who is called a friend of God.

May our hearts burn for that kind of confidence in God's mercy. Read it in the Word, and then begin to look for God's mercy in your life--expect it as David did. You will not be disappointed.

Copyright © 2007 by Ruth Mayfield All rights reserved. These articles may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, by including this notice.

No comments: